Most people who live in Florida know it is a no-fault state. That means if your vehicle and another vehicle have an accident, you file your claim for injury with your own insurance company. This is only for physical injury, not for property damage.

In Florida, the fault for an accident is usually determined to be a percentage. For example, it may be ruled that the driver of the car was 90% at fault and you are 10% at fault. Therefore, their insurance will pay you for 90% of the damage done to your property. The other 10% is your responsibility.

What if the driver that hit you was at fault, but they have no insurance or not enough insurance to pay for the damages?

You would need the help of an attorney to sue the driver for the damages. But, legal action can be a long process during your recovery. Your bicycle and gear may be your only means of transportation. This is the time you realize the value of having uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage on your policy.

If you have collision insurance, it will pay for the damages, but the deductible for collision insurance is usually higher than the deductible on the uninsured motorist policy.

You may have it and not know it

In Florida, if you carry body injury liability insurance, the law requires the insurance company to provide uninsured motorists coverage unless you specifically refuse it. If you did not refuse it, you have the coverage you need.  Underinsured insurance coverage will cost a bit more, but it is worth it.

Is this fair?

Many times, people complain that it is not fair that their insurance company is responsible for their medical expenses when the accident was the other person’s fault. But, look at it this way. You pay a monthly premium to be sure you have the care you need in an accident. So, when the time comes that you need to activate that coverage, it is only fair that the company you have paid all these years steps up to the plate.

I have PIP (Personal injury Protection) why do I need Uninsured Motorists coverage too?

PIP rates are usually low. They will pay up to 80% of your medical bills, but they do not pay the remaining balance, property damage, or pain and suffering. Uninsured insurance usually pays what PIP doesn’t.

What about Hit and Run accidents?

This is another time when uninsured or underinsured motorist’s insurance helps you. If the driver that struck you took off, you could report it to the police, and they may face charges for leaving the scene of an accident. However, you could have serious injuries. You cannot wait for the police to find the driver and then get medical help.

Receive the medical attention you need immediately.Having this extra coverage on your policy will give you peace of mind and comfort knowing you will get quality care and will not be hit with thousands of dollars’ worth of medical bills.

Now is the time to sit down with your insurance agent and determine what coverage you have and what coverage you need. If you have already had an accident, you should consult an attorney and discuss your legal options.